Commercial Property Owners: Actions After Earthquake

The November Earthquakes and subsequent flooding events were incredibly unsettling for all involved. Earthquake expert & Director Rory Crosbie offers clear advice on what Commercial Property Owners should do in the event of an earthquake.
  • Notify insurers of the event and that a claim will follow. Retain the services of a structural engineer to :
  • Complete a visual inspection of the interior and exterior of the property, document the findings and prepare an earthquake rapid assessment in accordance with MBIE Building Performance guidance.
  • Make recommendations on whether the building is safe to re-occupy or whether further more detailed investigations are required. Take urgent action to make building safe, secure, weather-tight and sanitary. A building surveyor can assist and manage this process.
  • Record any remedial work done and take photographs for future insurance claim purpose.
  • Get essential services, like toilets and water systems, repaired. Ideally use existing contractors who maintain the specified systems to complete this work.
  • Keep records of everything the repairer replaces (and keep a copy of the bill).
  • Hire a structural engineer, building surveyors and quantity surveyors to complete a fully detailed damage assessment and scope of repairs.
  • Use damage assessment information to determine the repair methodology and to prioritise repair works.

Please contact us for more information

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.